I picked up the pattern ages before, I think it was the first thing I bought for the whole project. Keeping in mind the last time I worked with a pattern was over 13 years ago, and that one was supplied by my school, you can say I was a little out of practice. What I didn't pay attention to, is the fact that the sizing is way out of line with the messed up vanity sizing available in stores - I wear a size 8/9, so I grabbed the size 6-14 pattern... So problem #1, according to the pattern, I should be a size 16. In the end it wasn't a huge deal, I added a little more seam allowance all around, and ended up taking it back in again, but I didn't want it to go the other way, so I would say it was worth it. The second issue was with the pattern itself - while all the little pictures on the package looked like little dresses (one whole piece), in fact they were spaghetti strap dresses with a little bolero jacket that goes over top!
|How perfect is th.... Aww, sneaky buggers!|
|Hibiscus... Or.. Floral, anyway?|
With pattern and fabric finally in place, it was time to get to work!
-Purple (or red) fabric, in hibiscus pattern, if that even exists ;)
-Pink (or yellow) lining fabric
First things first, I decided from the start that I wasn't going to bother with a liner, because I didn't want the extra work. For the record, I am an idiot. A liner is pretty much a must, especially when working with a fabric like satin brocade which frays out like it's nobodys business. It makes the garment smoother looking, feel better, and seals the insides inside. If you're going to make a liner (DO IT), do it right at the beginning, cut it out at the same time as you cut out the rest, don't shortcut, it makes your life harder later. Now that we have that established, we'll cover what I did.
|Give or take, the lower potion of the jacket.|
|Not perfect, but close enough!|
While cutting out everything above, an intelligent person would make duplicates of each piece in the liner material to ensure that both have the same shape and size, but again, I am an idiot. Instead, I decided I needed this after the fact, and had to approximate the pieces from the completed jacket outer. Put it all together in the same manner as with the jacket above, and voila! A jacket liner!
|So many pins... So many fingers pricked.|
Shaping was a bit of a process as jacket is very form fitting and needs to sit at specific spots. As I was planning on wearing shapewear and a specific bra, I made sure I was wearing them at this point so the jacket was made to fit with what I was actually planning to wear. The bust line needed to be cut down quite a bit to make the necessary cleavage, and the tails, hips and front panel all needed to be trimmed to form. In the end, I think I STILL hadn't trimmed the hips high enough or the front panel short enough, but I was still happy with the look.
That's the basics of the jacket! With the outer and liner both together and fitting correctly, it's time to PAINT! Next time, we'll talk about the magic formula for painting stripes!
In case you missed it... Moxxi Part 1 - Spats!