|My lonely sewing machine, finally back to work!|
|Gloss varnish, you sweet saviour you!|
|The desired effect|
-Blue acrylic paint
-Red acrylic paint
-Acrylic fabric medium
-Gloss varnish for acrylic paint
-Painter's tape (various sizes for convenience)
-Paint brushes, mixing tray, water tray
-Black fabric marker (for liner)
And once all of that is dry...
-Separable purple dress weight zipper (I needed 14 inch)
So, ladies and gentlemen, the magic working formula was approximately 30% red acrylic paint, 30% blue acrylic paint, 25% fabric medium and 15% gloss. My advice if you plan to try this at home, play around a little, see what works for your fabric (let it dry and all) and then when you're ready to paint, make a whole ton of it. Seriously, a lot. You don't want to run out and end up changing the formula in the middle of painting your stripes!
|It may not look pretty, but it worked!|
|So much purple paint - but so worth it!|
|So perfect <3|
With the outer all finished, I needed to take care of the design on the lining - specifically, on the tails. If you look closely, the under side of the tails has a diamond pattern on it, as though it's quilted. I REALLY didn't have the time by this point to sew it into place, so I drew it on all quick and sketchy-like with fabric marker, adding a little cell shading here and there as necessary. Easy peasy! If I had had more time, I may have taken it a little farther, but in the pictures, the effect was just about perfect!
|It turned out something like this!|
With the inner and outer of the jacket ready to roll, I pinned the zipper with Fatima's assistance to ensure proper fit and function. I had decided early on to not make the buttons "functional" as a zipper was sure to give a smoother, tighter closure than buttons could. I used a 14 inch dress weight separable zipper.
The toggle half was installed along the seam between the spare center flap and the front side panel, and the other half was pinned on the edge of the flap (It was actually sewed on along with the bias tape in the next step - we just pinned it at this point to make sure the fit was right). I guess I could have installed the toggle half during the original jacket construction, but I just sewed it on after the fact - it worked out just fine!
Next time bias tape, rick rack and coat hangars! Stay tuned!
Moxxi tutorials so far:
Part 1 - Spats
Part 2 - Fabric Shopping and Starting the Jacket